Head of Patient Operations, TeleClinic
TeleClinic at a glance
TeleClinic is a platform that matches patients with doctors for online consultations via mobile app.
Since launching in 2015, TeleClinic has emerged as Germany's leading provider of telemedicine.
The support team
A team of 40 customer service agents provide round-the-clock support to TeleClinic users.
A surge in demand of over 500% and a steep spike in customer service requests during the pandemic.
A custom-built virtual agent to meet TeleClinic's exact needs that seamlessly integrates with their CRM, Zendesk.
Getting started with Ultimate
Until 2016, telemedicine was only covered by private insurance in Germany. When the law extended coverage to everyone, demand surged. TeleClinic's user base grew by almost 500% in 2020 alone. That same year, the pandemic saw a steep spike in customer service requests. The collision of these two circumstances meant it was the right time for TeleClinic to adopt automation.
TeleClinic already offered 24/7 customer service, but it was entirely handled by live agents. Unable to endlessly grow their team, they needed a tool to address customer queries in an empathetic and efficient way — and their operations leadership decided to partner up with Ultimate to build this.
AI use case spotlight: prioritizing requests
- TeleClinic’s support team deals with two kinds of requests: purely administrative and medical. Clearly these don't have the same level of urgency, but TeleClinic’s communication system wasn’t able to prioritize inquiries.
- Today, their virtual agent takes care of common admin queries with no human intervention. Some requests (like postponing an appointment) are transferred to an email ticket — notifying agents and automatically creating a 24-hour reply rule in Zendesk.
- This allows TeleClinic to shift volumes, save escalation for urgent queries and help agents prioritize. The virtual agent can also identify urgent requests, like whether a last-minute appointment is an emergency.
AI use case spotlight: accurate responses to sensitive questions
- Telemedicine is a complex, sensitive matter, where a one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work. That's why automation at all costs would never be the right solution for TeleClinic.
- Accuracy is essential when it comes to health, so TeleClinic's first step was to deploy suggested replies. This helps agents to accurately answer repetitive questions and trains the virtual agent at the same time.
- Ultimate's platform is GDPR and SOC-2 type 2 compliant, so TeleClinic could be sure their customers' sensitive medical data could be protected.
The success story
Custom-built virtual agent
Telemedicine is a naturally complex industry so TeleClinic loves our flexible solution that can offer the right mix of suggestion and automation.
With a virtual agent taking care of common customer requests, TeleClinic can meet growing demand — without growing their support team.
Secure data handling
Given the sensitive nature of the requests TeleClinic’s support team handles, they needed an automation partner they could rely on to treat customer data securely.
Headless automation platform
The virtual agent sits inside their existing tech stack and seamlessly integrates with their CRM, meaning TeleClinic can maximize the value of all their tools and tech.